- Biodiversity tiodiversity means the diversity of life forms.
- There are about ten million species in the planet.
- At present scientific names have been given to more than 1.7 million living species.
- Out of these, ovi a million are insects. More than 50% of living species exists in tropical rain forests which are sti unexplored.
- The warm and humid tropical regions of earth, between tropic of Cancer and the tropic c Capricorn are rich in biodiversity.
- More than half of biodiversity is concentrated in countries like Brazi. Colombia, Mexico, Ecuador, Peru, India, Madagascar, Australia, China, Indonesia and Malaysia.
- It is further interesting to note that rain forests cover not more than 80% of total land area but show the presence of large diversity of life. People all over the world are very much worried about preservatioi of such forests.