Page No: 10
1. Why did the king want to know answers to three questions?
Ans: The king wanted to know answers to three questions because of the thought came to his mind that he would never fail if he knew answers to these three questions.
2. Messengers were sent throughout the kingdom
(i) to fetch wise men.
(ii) to find answers to the questions.
(iii) to look for the wise hermit.
(iv) to announce a reward for those who could answer the questions.
Mark your choice:
Ans: (iv) to announce a reward for those who could answer the questions.
Page No: 14
Complete the following sentences by adding the appropriate parts of the sentences given in the box.
1. Many wise men answered the king’s questions, …….
2. Someone suggested that there should be a council of wise men ……
3. Someone else suggested that the king should have a timetable ……
4. The king requested the hermit ……
5. The king washed and dressed the bearded man’s wound, …….
• but the bleeding would not stop• to answer three questions.
• but their answers were so varied that the king was not satisfied.
• and follow it strictly.
• to help the king act at the right time.
Ans: 1. Many wise men answered the king’s questions, but their answers were so varied that the king wasnot satisfied.
2. Someone suggested that there should be a council of wise men to help the king act at the right time.
3. Someone else suggested that the king should have a timetable and follow it strictly.
4. The king requested the hermit to answer three questions.
5. The king washed and dressed the bearded man’s wound, but the bleeding would not stop.
Working with the text
Answer the following questions.
1. Why was the king advised to go to magicians?
Ans: In answer to the first question, in order to decide the right time for doing something urgent one must have to look into the future. Since only magician could do that, the king was advised to go to magicians.
2. In answer to the second question, whose advice did the people say would be important to the king?
Ans: In answers to the second question, some said that the people most necessary to the king were his councillors, others said, the priests. A few others chose the doctors. And yet others said that soldiers were the most necessary.
3. What suggestions were made in answer to the third question?
Ans: In answer to the third question, some said science will be most important. Others suggested fighting, and some said religious worship.
4. Did the wise men win the reward? If not, why not?
Ans: No, the wise men did not win the reward. The king got different for all the three questions he asked. He was not satisfied with any of them.
Page No: 15
5. How did the king and the hermit help the wounded man?
Ans: The king and the hermit helped the wounded man by providing him the shelter and protected from the army. The king washed and covered the wound of the man with his handkerchief, but the blood would not stop flowing. The king re-dressed the wound until it stopped bleeding. They took him to hut for taking rest and king also gave him fresh water after being relaxed.
6. (i) Who was the bearded man?
(ii) Why did he ask for the king’s forgiveness?
Ans: (i) Bearded man was the enemy of the king who swore to revenge him for seizing of his property and putting his brother to death.
(ii) He asked for the king’s forgiveness as the king had saved his life. He came there for taking revenge from the king but instead the king helped him to get better.
7. The king forgave the bearded man. What did he do to show his forgiveness?
Ans: The king showed his forgiveness by sending his servants and his own doctor to look after him, and he promised to give back the wounded man his property.
8. What were the hermit’s answers to the three questions? Write each answer separately. Which answer do you like most, and why?
Ans: In answer to king’s first question, the hermit said that there is only one important time ‘Now’. It is the only time when you have power to act. In answer to king’s second question, the hermit said that the most important person is the one with whom we are at the present. In response to king’s second question, the hermit answered that the most important thing to do is to do that person good. I like the answer of the first question the most because time has the supreme power. It can take you to height if you do something good and can also make you fall on ground if you won; t act in presence. One should live and act according to present.
Working with language
1. Match items in List A with their meanings in List B.
fainted: lost consciousness
|(i) wounded||got up from sleep|
|(ii) awoke||give back|
|(iii) forgive||small patches of ground for plants|
|(iv) faithful||severely injured|
|(vii) return||feel sorry for|
Use any three of the above words in sentences of your own. You may change the form of the word.
Ans: (i) wounded : severely injured
(ii) awoke : got up from sleep
(iii) forgive : pardon
(iv) faithful : loyal
(v) pity : feel sorry for
(vi) beds : small patches of ground for plants
(vii) return : give back
I will ask my parents to forgive for my bad behaviour.
Dog is faithful animal of man.
I am feeling pity for my shameful act.
2. Each of the following sentences has two blanks. Fill in the blanks with appropriate forms of the word given in brackets.
He has …… to help me. Do you think he will remember his ………? (promise)
He has promised to help me. Do you think he will remember his promise?
(i) The ……. said that only fresh evidence would make him change his ……..(judge)
(ii) I didn’t notice any serious ……. of opinion among the debaters, although they ……. from one another over small points. (differ)
(iii) It’s a fairly simple question to ………. , but will you accept my ……. as final? (answer)
(iv) It isn’t ……. that ……. should always be the mother of invention. (necessary)
(v) Hermits are ……… men. How they acquire their ……. no one can tell. (wise)
(vi) The committee has ………. to make Jagdish captain of the team. The ……. is likely to please everyone (decide)
(vii) Asking for …….. is as noble as willingness to …….. (forgive)
Ans: (i) The judge said that only fresh evidence would make him change his judgement.
(ii) I didn’t notice any serious difference of opinion among the debaters, although they differed from one another over small points.
(iii) It’s a fairly simple question to answer, but will you accept my answer as final?
(iv) It isn’t necessary that necessity should always be the mother of invention.
(v) Hermits are wise men. How they acquire their wisdom no one can tell.
(vi) The committee has decided to make Jagdish captain of the team. The decision is likely to please everyone.
(vii) Asking for forgiveness is as noble as willingness to forgive.