- Carbon in the form of graphite is used in electrodes in dry cells and electric arcs because it is good conductor of electricity.
- Graphite is used for making lubricants and lead of pencils because it is slippery in nature and can make mark on paper.
- Graphite is used for making high temperature crucibles because of its high melting point.
- Carbon in the form of diamond, is used for making jewellery due to its brilliance.
- Diamond is used for making tools for cutting and grinding and also for removal of cataract by surgeons because it is very hard and has sharp edges.
- It is used in skin ointments, spray for fruit trees against pests and diseases because of its fungicidal and insecticidal nature.
- It is used in vulcanisation of rubber, manufacturing of dyes, fireworks, gun powder and sulphuric acid.
- It is used for preparing iodised common salt.
- It is used to prepare Tincture of Iodine, which can be used as an antiseptic.
- It is used in respiration and is supporter of combustion.
- It is used for manufacturing matchsticks, rat poisons, phosphoric add and phosphate fertilisers.
- It is used for manufacturing fertilisers, ammonia and nitric acid.
- Liquid nitrogen is used to preserve blood, cornea and body organs.
- It is used for disinfecting water and manufacturing bleaching powder, PVC pipes and plastics.
- It is used in extraction of metals such as copper, lead and tin.
- It is used for manufacturing ammonia gas.